Directory

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

More Acrylics

Yesterday was a slower day than I anticipated, so I started playing around with acrylics again. Instead of using another (and last) of my thin, 5" x 7" canvases, I decided to test the mounted 8" x 10" canvas.

I again documented the process, and yet again I feel like I took it too far. Oh well. Part of the beauty and challenge of art is to know when to quit, and how to still make it work if you've gone too far with a piece.




I really started out being very inspired by Philip Govedare's work. I saw it frequently the last few months at the local art museum.




I also really liked the soft, watercolor tones I had going. It's about here I really should've stopped and at least taken a break.




This isn't so bad now that I look at it, but at the time I wasn't feeling it. And this was more of a free-range experiment, so I went with what I felt like. So I blacked everything out and started anew.




Even though there was something bright and lovely beneath, this started to turn out better in my mind. You can just see the vestiges of the orange "clouds" peeking through.




Played with adding black on the edges. Hardly noticeable. . The blue is very playful and energetic.




Liked the lighting effect from the window. It had been cloudy all day, and the sun had just started setting.





Nebula
Acrylic on 8" x 10" canvas
January 12, 2010
Alexander Kramer

Link to my DeviantArt (and print-order-able version)



Materials
Artist's Loft acrylics, 12 colors
Newspaper
Canvas
Plastic knife
Paperclip
Napkins/Paper towels
Water (and dish)
Loew-Cornell brushes - Hair and nylon
Imagination/boredom/time

No comments:

Post a Comment