Directory

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Thoughts from Places: Eve-day of show opening

Tomorrow is when the La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum opens its doors to about two dozen Japanese quilters to mark the start of the newest exhibits. Among the Japanese quilts and Ainu embroidery is the quilt project that I was a part of.

Back in June 2010 I was approached by board members for the museum and asked if I'd join a project. I accepted. Now two years later, that project is ready to be unveiled.



It's a rather interesting feeling, the eve-day before a show like this opens. It was a rather large collaborative effort. I'm excited to see the reactions of all of the quilters seeing each others' pieces all together. I think they all did beautifully in rendering their versions of my paintings.

Today is deadline-day at the La Conner Weekly News, and on my lunch break, I was munching on my editor-made sandwich,* drinking office coffee, and thinking deeply about my art and this project.

Will this jump start a more professional art career?
Will I become pigeon-holed? 
What about keep getting asked to keep doing paintings of storefronts? 
Will this route be all I do in art?

And my response to it all was: We shall see.

I don't know if this will become a popular thing or not, and I'm not really worried about getting stuck on it. With all the crazy and all-over ideas I have for my art, I find it very difficult that this show will define what my art is and who I am as an artist for the rest of my career. It may end up being a big part, but not all of it. It's gonna be fun, and people / artists reinvent how others view them all the time.

Honestly, I'm anxiously-excited to see where this all leads, and anxiously-excited for the opening tomorrow.
Reception starts at 10 a.m. at the Gaches Mansion, and is expected to run until noon.
Admission to the museum is $7 for general, $5 for military and students with ID, and free for members and children under 12. These shows also run until October 7.



*Editor-made sandwich: Sourdough bread with tomato, mayo, full onions, and crunchy bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment